For my English class I get to do a ten page report on Henry David Thoreau. As I have been doing some research, I have come across some of his quotes. Some of these I think are funny, but some I think are so profound. Just thought I would share a few that I thought were interesting:
"It is only when we forget all our learning that we begin to know. "
"The language of Friendship is not words, but meanings. It is an intelligence above language. "
"Thank [Goodness] men cannot fly, and lay waste the sky as well as the earth."
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion. "
"The greatest compliment that was ever paid me was when one asked me what I thought, and attended to my answer."
"How can any man be weak who dares to be at all? "
"Nothing makes the earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes."
"Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new. "
"Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant? "
"As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives."
-Henry David Thoreau
No comments:
Post a Comment