Monday, August 10, 2015
Bedtime Magic
Every night I tuck in this big little boy. We have a bedtime routine in place. First we look at the clock to check for the time. 7:54. Then we brush our teeth where "Dr. Mommy" gets to do dental work on patient Sawyer. Then we check the clock again. 8:03. Jams are next. His choice is usually his baseball jams without any undies on "because it's just more comfy." check the clock again. 8:07 "Mom, i'm staying up super late tonight," he tells me. And then he moves a little slower, because by now he knows that the slower he moves, the longer he gets to stay up. "I'm going out of your room at 8:20," I firmly tell him. He saunders to the bathroom to take one last potty break. checks the clock again. 8:10. The boy is a little obsessed with time these days. "come on son, time is running out," I report. We kneel together as he says a sweet prayer. And then magic happens. The clock slows down, we snuggle under his Avengers sheets, turn on his tangerine orange reading lamp and the stories begin. Sometimes he reads to me, sometimes I read to him... but on magic nights, we tell each other stories. He asks me what page i'm on when I tell my stories because he's also a little obsessed with numbers. "page 20," I make up after 1 minute of telling my story. "Holy smokes mom, your book is going fast," he astonishingly replies. We tell each other stories of Sawyah the ninja, of the Rebel basketball team with their star players Sully and his friends, and of cowboys and indians. He listens enchanted by each drop of commentary. And then it's his turn. and I listen. and I listen. and I soak. and I melt. Tonight he told me a story of a girl's Jazz team whose star player was Shaylee. "like Shaylee the Sheep?" I tease (he's been dying to see the Shaun the Sheep movie), and we bust up giggling. Before I know it the clock tells me it's way past this cool dude's bed time. I stand up to tuck in my boy and ask him for a smooch on both cheeks. He goes in for a smooch on the right cheek and my face turns right in time for him to land one on my lips. he laughs. He goes in for a smooch on my left cheek and my face turns right in time for him to plant one on my lips again. he laughs. and then I tell him I love him. That I have always loved him and always will love him. He tucks in his curious george and I turn on his primary songs. "I am a Child of God please, mom"....."is the volume at number 3?" I double check and nod. I blow one last kiss and crack the door ensuring that the gap is neither too big or too little. I turn to go downstairs when I hear a quiet, "Mom.... last question." I sigh as I sometimes do because my brain is tired and my answers are not always sufficient enough and that last question might turn into last 5 questions. "I love you mom," he says. "Sleep good mom," he says. "I'll come snuggle with you in the morning," he whispers. "will you come check on me at 9:06?" He asks. and I answer the last Questions as I slowly walk down the stairs. "Sleep sweet my boy, I love you." 8:45 the clock reads.
In the quiet hours of the night I find myself pondering over this boy of mine. we are buddies. we are partners in crime. we are teammates. we are explorers. we are companions. we are friends.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment