Whenever I travel to Utah I usually have a hard time enjoying the moment. I'm too busy being sad or anxious that the days are slipping by and that we will have to go back to real life soon. But this trip... This trip was magical. I truly enjoyed every moment. And there was no wasted energy on being sad that I live so far from this family I love so much.
We stopped to visit Dixon's Grammy on our way up. We gave her a poinsettia and sang her the Rebel fight song. I think she was so grateful for our visit, and I imagine she was singing right along with us.

This is the first Christmas since my Grandpa Silcox passed. And with that realization, lots of emotions swam through my head when we went out to Tooele to have dinner with my grandma. I have such fond memories of the two of my grandparents. There aren't any memories I have of just one or the other, they were always side by side. My grandma did a great job on his headstone, and I enjoyed visiting with him and wishing him a merry christmas. It's still so weird that he's gone. I kept looking up expecting him to come walking into the room when we were at grandma's house. Sometimes this whole growing up thing brings so many growing pains.

So I was needing my hair colored in bad ways, and Kenadee wants to go to hair school and had stuff for bleaching my hair... So I asked her to do my hair. She was so nervous. She's never even done color or highlights before. But I knew she could do it. And she did a great job. I will be going back to her again soon. Just one more reason to go back to Utah.
Sawyer loved the snow. We had two days of snow before Christmas, and we took advantage of it. Dixon and I had a snowball fight. And the boys built a snowman with the other little chicks. Oh snow. It does my heart good. Crisp air, beautiful scenery. Sigh.



Okay, this next picture I am framing. Didn't even plan to have us all matching. We all got ready and I looked around and said "family picture day!!" The boys were good sports. Family pictures are not their most favorite.

Syd is Sawyer's buddy and she rode with us to all the family parties. Sawyer loved having some attention in the car. He especially loved playing on her phone.

This is what happens when you take off your snow hat. I like to caption this picture with "it's Christmas. I'm so excited!"

Grandma Kathy is so cute with sawyer. He had so much fun with all my little cousins. I can never get a good picture there because the lighting is pretty bad. But we had a great time. We always go to grandma's on Christmas eve. Wouldn't quite be Christmas without it!

Dixon finally got to meet Baby Beck. Oh that baby. I love him like my own. I had a hard time sharing with everyone. I just wanted him all to myself so I could love on him and rock him and study every detail of his changing little self. Ky and Nate are the cutest parents, so in sync with one another.

And this my friends is sawyer's big gift this year. It went right by the Christmas tree and when he saw it he didn't want to open anything else. And that is one of the thins I love about kids. They don't need much. I'm trying to be more like a child in that regard.

I don't have any pictures of Christmas morning. I was too wrapped up In watching my little three year old soak in the magic. Santa spoiled us this year. Mom and dad still make it a point to make it magical. My heart is so full. I don't know where to start. There is something about being in the home I grew up in with all my siblings there that just did me in. I know those Christmases will be getting fewer and farther between as everyone gets married and has children of their own.
Syd and I have always been "s buddies" because our names both start with s. When she was born I told my mom her name had to start with an s because she had two "k's" and two "L's". And so they named her Sydnee. We call her Siddle... Like skittle. And when she was a baby I was her mom. Ok not really, but I loved her like a mother, I carried her everywhere. There are very few pictures at that time when I do not have Syd with me. I would come home from school and want to hold her and love her. And now she's the big 12?! When did that happen? Anywho. Mom got us matching S sweaters so we can increase our S buddy love.

Dixon and I took advantage of free babysitters and went to the Bountiful temple. We haven't been there since we were sealed nearly 5 1/2 years ago. So many memories came flooding back. That was the temple I went to every week in high school with my dear friend. I have learned a lot about myself there. My testimony has grown there. I married my best friend there. My family is forever because we went there. I love it there.

We went to temple square to see the lights. And I was surprised at how warm I was. I thought for sure I would freeze. Like snot turning to icecicles freeze. But it was just perfect. We parked at City Creek and walked over. Sawyer loved those fountains.

Ok let's talk about how happy my my heart is when I look at this picture. We are just missing Ky, Nate, and Beck. It was a little too chilly for Beck so they opted to stay home. But seriously, this picture. Mom and dad were married there many years ago. I am so grateful to be a part of this forever family. And as we grow and and our family changes, I am reminded that it all started with two love birds and their righteous choice to be sealed in that temple.

Dixon took Sawyer to Boondocks so I could love on Beck. The kid was in high heaven. Mini bowling and basketball for days. Dixon said he was a hoot. I love that my husband will take him and do things with him. They are such good friends.


And Beck. Let's talk about how scrumptious he is! His little cheeks have filled out a little since I last saw him, his eyes are lightening up I'm thinking blue. And his baby hair is turning blonde like his mommy and daddy. He is so sweet. He doesn't fuss very much, and he loves his mommy. It was so fun to just watch Kylee with him. She has the mother's touch and knows whatevery cry means. I just couldn't get enough of him. Held him at dinner while everyone ate so I could get more time with him. I love him like my own.

And those were the hilights. Let's not eave out late nights beating Lyndee at speed and Dixon beating Cam at basketball. Or being fed like kings. Seriously my dad put on quite the spread. Or making Carmel apples with mom and Syd: a small project turned big. Or that time we took a family picture at night, outside, in 20 degree cold. Or the magic that surrounded us on Christmas Eve when testimonies were shared and our family unit was strengthened. I hope I never forget the way dad's eyes twinkled when we opened a gift we weren't expecting, or mom's quiet happiness emanating from her to have all her kids under the same roof. I hope I never forget how I feel so welcome and loved in their home. I hope I never forget how Lyndee is so good about getting out there and doing something. And How much of a tease my tall brother is. I hope I don't forget how happy Ky was to have me in her home. Every trip home fills me to the brim and propels me forward. To be better. To do better. And this trip was no exception.
And because my husband is awesome he took this picture of me in the car. I'm exhausted. In the good exhausted kind of way.

And Santa wasn't done. Sawyer came home to find Santa had left a gift by our tree. Can't wait to see what he cooks up!

I am so grateful for this season. For our Savior who loves us. And for the opportunity it gives us to draw closer as a family and make memories together that bind us together.
Merry Christmas!
3 comments:
Okay, you have me in tears. This post is beautiful Shay. You always have a way with words. I love you! So glad you're writing again.
these comments are from me, kylee.. not nate. just wanted to clear that up :)
So I had your blog up and Kendrick pointed to Dixon and totally said Dixon... He possibly could have been attempting a different word but I was amazed at how much it really sounded like it. He said it a few times too. I think he must have known Dixon in the other life because I haven't ever said his name before. Crazy crazy.
Love your blog Shay! I could feel the magic of Christmas from your words.
Post a Comment