Sunday, December 15, 2013

On turning 3

My sweet boy turned three this past week. Three. This age is magical. His dad and I are cool in his eyes. We are enough for him right now. And I like that. I know the day will come when I'm not his superhero and when I can't fill all the needs that he has and fight all his bad guys. But right here right now, I am enough.

Some things I want to remember about Sawyer at three years old: He is so polite and is constantly saying please and thank you. "Mommy I want a drink please." "Thank you for playing basketball with me" "mommy, I love you." He is talking so clearly and says complete sentences. "Mommy, when you come pick me up after work, then we will play basketball together." He is getting a lot better with sharing his toys, and naps are still pretty common. He has a very sweet spirit. He hates to disappoint, yet he has confidence in himself and can be stubborn when he really wants something. He is an observer, the wheels are always turning. He observes first and then tries it out. He's a very good listener, always quick to follow through with what I ask him to do. He has a love for his aunts. Oh how he loves them, they spoil him and make him laugh and he loves to be with them. But his uncle Landon, uncle chase, grandpa rob, and bompi have a special spot in his little heart. I melt watching him with those male role models. He is so lucky to have so many people that love him so much!! He is a very picky eater, his menu consists of: yogurt, pancakes, cinnamon life cereal, peanut butter sandwiches, grilled cheese, clementines, carrotts, applesauce, bananas, apples, and snacks of course. No meat. Not even pepperoni on a pizza. He is my singer. I often find him singing I am a child of god or the rebels fight song. And he loves to listen to Taylor Swift and Dia Frampton.

Sawyer has a slight obsession with basketball. Mostly the UNLV rebels. He knows the whole UNLV roster, and carefully examines that roster each day pointing out all the different players to me. He speaks so clearly, with a quiet confidence, and has the sweetest little voice.

He has so many cute little friends in nursery, I thought it would be fun if we had a little basketball party for him. Nothing crazy, just getting his little friends together to shoot some hoops and play ball. He loved it so much. He asks me everyday if he gets to have another party.

The star player himself.









Dixon and I made the basketball cupcakes. I made a few mini ones and a few regular size. Dixon helped me draw the lines. You would have thought sawyer would love these, but he insisted that I make a green cupcake for him, because green is his most favorite color. So I made three green ones, because he's three. And it's his birthday so he can have green if he wants it.

















I just had mini bags of popcorn, cupcakes, peeled clementines(cuz hello they look like basketballs), and little kool-aid pouches. It turned out perfect. Not too much, not too little. Just right.

















And lyla came to the party too. Because again, it's his birthday and if he wants his dog there, he can have his dog there.
Lyla had the look of "oh for the love, please someone help me."

He had such a fun little party. He had 7 friends come. And I loved watching him have fun with all his lil friends. Nothing warms a mama heart like watching your little enjoy the company of his cute friends. A mothers prayer is constantly including the hope that her little will feel loved and accepted by his peers.

His birthday morning was just as sweet. He woke up and came downstairs for breakfast and was so surprised to see his pile of presents waiting for him. This age is so much fun because he totally gets the whole presents thing.

















Playing with his bat cave with his best buddy. These two are the sweetest of friends.








Blowing out his candles on his birthday. We rarely see him without a jersey on these days. I have to bribe him to wear something warm so we can leave the house. Cracks
me up. We walk in from whereever we have been and shorts and shirts and undies are flying off and bare bums are running upstairs
To change into basketball shorts and basketball jerseys and socks. Because that's what the basketball players wear.








And just because I think he's so stinkin cute I included the following picture.








I must say, As our year is coming to an end and we've celebrated another birthday I've been thinking a lot about how our family looks completely different from how I thought it would look when sawyer turned three years old. And yet it's just perfect. I have so enjoyed just soaking this time up with my little three year old. He is my happy thought. He is my little buddy, he makes my world go round and round. I am so grateful to be his mama.

Happy birthday my sweet three year old.


2 comments:

The Behunins said...

Yay!!! A post! Beautifully written. I can't believe you have a 3 year old. I love you!

-ky

Unknown said...

He is as cute now as the day he was born. What a fun little man you have. You have a beautiful family Shay.