Thursday afternoon I was taking my lunch and noticed I had a missed call from my sister. I knew my mom was out of town and that she was taking care of the kiddos, so I quickly called her back assuming she was informing me of a funny something or other that was going on at home. I wasn't ready to hear the news that my Grandpa Silcox had passed away. It took me off guard. He was a rock, I was quite certain he was going to live forever.
I have had the good fortune of not having had to deal with a lot of death in my years. I didn't really know how to handle the news that my grandfather had passed away. So many emotions. Gratitude that he went fast and mostly painless, heartbroken over the fact I won't get to see him again in this earth life, blessed to be a part of his posterity, and that is just the start. The thing about death is it causes you to search your innermost person. It makes you pause to think about life and the things that really matter.
My grandpa taught me a lot of things about life:
1. Enjoy learning. He was always current on the goings on of the world. He was a teacher and had a passion for teaching. He was always wanting to learn, and always curious about the world
2. Support your family. Grandpa always supported his family. Grandpa and grandma came together to all my plays, my soccer games, dance recitals, piano recitals, t ball games, baptism, baby blessing...he was there for everything, and always seemed pleased to be there. He didn't say much, but I knew he was glad to be there
3. Want for little and you will have a lot. Grandpa didn't care too much about fashion, or style. He lived within his means, gave his children a roof over their heads and food on the table, and he provided them the opportunity to go to college. Grandpa spent his weekends with his family, and made it a point to make relationships the most important thing in his life.
4. Persistence. Grandpa taught me to keep trying, and not give up. In his later years, he had a lot of mental challenges, but he persevered, and didn't give up on himself or those around him
5. Gratitude. Grandpa always thanked my mom for dinner, "that was a beautiful meal Beck," he would say. And if he had been invited over or to an event, before leaving he would always say "thank you" for having him.
I was so gratefu to both of our employers for allowing us the time off to be with family. Sawyer was a gem. Honestly, I didn't hear a peep out of him the whole way there and the whole way home. I think he's got it figured out that Grandma Beck's house is a fun place to be!
I got to meet up briefly with my friend and her little guy. He is one week older than Sawyer and cute as ever.
Notice uncle Landon and his braceless smile. Such a stud. All three of them.
Oh my heart. My twin sister. I love her so much. That girl is something else. She has a way of making you feel so loved. She has such a talent of talking to people. We saw so many people at the funeral, I was a little overwhelmed, but not ky. She knows how to make people feel so welcome and right at home, even the people she doesn't know, she'll walk right up to them and start a conversation. Such an amazing person that one is.
Got to visit with my dad's mom. I learned a lot through this whole funeral thing. Mostly I learned that it's so important to support each other in these hard times.
My grandpa served in the navy, it was so neat to have the military service at the graveside. I loved the flag on his coffin too! So neat.
My sisters. A sad day made a lot brighter in their presence.
And my sweet husband. What a strength he has been to me. He has given me unwavering support and took such good care of Sawyer at the viewing and funeral. My heart could burst, I love him so much.
I love this picture of my mom, my moms sister, my grandma, and my great grandma. Sawyer was dying to be with Grandma Beck (and tired of wearing his cowboy boots...I ran out of skittles).
He slept for 2 1/2 hours on our way home. He seriously is the most amazing traveler. I was so proud of him. He was so patient this weekend with all the driving and having to sit still so long at the viewing and the funeral. He is such a joy to have around. I love him so much it hurts.
The funeral was such a beautiful tribute to my grandpa. I love him. I miss him. I'm so grateful to be part of his Silcox heritage. I treasure up the memories I have with him. I always knew my grandpa loved me. Till we meet again. I love you grandpa.
No comments:
Post a Comment